Monday, March 06, 2006

He/She/It

I was at a women's studies conference on Saturday (if you really want to know, I'll tell you) listening to some students reading papers. I was amazed at some of the things I heard, i.e. God shouldn't be referred to as He but He/She or It. There were other things I heard that absolutely frightens me about what's being taught in American universities today.
I kept hearing about equality. Men and women are equal and everything should be done to make that happen. The session I was in had a somewhat Christian turn to it. But as I left, I couldn't help but think, "They don't get it." It's not about me. It's not about equality. It's about Jesus. He is the firstborn from the dead. He is the image of the invisible God. All things were created by Him and for Him. He is the exact representation of God.
To the world, it's all about rights. My right to this and my right to do that. A few years ago a preacher friend of mine showed me a book with the title something like, "We Have No Rights." The premise was that as members of the(a) Kingdom, we are mere servants who can only submit ourselves to the Lord of all. Fortunately, we have a God who loves us and delights in us and who gives us good things. But I think I finally have it figured out. Now if I could just live it. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

You know I'm interested. Spill it. :O)