Wednesday, March 29, 2006

One Year Blogging Anniversary--Random Thoughts

It's basically been a year since I first started blogging. What a year it's been, full of triumphs and tragedies, silly and sublime, fun and faults. But as I looked back over some of the blogs I have written, it helped to reminisce about what has happened. Of course, the death of my mother, the death of one of our teens at church, divorces, tragic world events. But there has been some fun, too. I've written about mowing grass, watching my kids grow up, and other silliness.
I was bemoaning the fact to someone the other day that I don't write in a diary like my dad used to do. I have his diaries all over the place. The person replied to me, "What do you call a blog?" He was right. This is an electronic diary. Not one that will likely be kept for a lifetime, but it is a daily recording of my thoughts.
Someone asked me the other day why I blogged. "What's the purpose?" they asked. It helps me see God. It forces me to look for Him in everyday life. Before I blogged, I just kind of trudged through life. Now I seek God in everything, every day. I look for things to write about and it has opened my eyes to another world. (Sounds like a soap opera!)
Blogs are different from diaries in that you invite the whole world to come and look into your life. That's all right. I don't have anything to hide. I just wonder why you read. There are times when I think nobody does read these words of mine. But just about the time I get discouraged and think I'll not write anymore, someone comes up to me and says how much they appreciated what I said. I don't write it for accolades. If it helps, then so be it. I write it to clear my head, to talk to God, to record my thoughts, and to keep me looking for God everywhere. Here's to the next year, God willing. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

David U said...

Happy Anniversary, brother! Now, let's see if we can get big Bob to join us in the bloggin world! :) Hey, miracles still happen.

By the way, your last post before this one was AWESOME!

DU

Franklin Wood said...

Congrats, Jim! I've also been doing it for over a year now. It's great because I find myself forgetting the stories of my life and ministry! It's a great way to chronicle these things. I just hope Blogger sticks around for a while! So, keep it up, and save yourself a copy!