Thursday, March 09, 2006

Relationship with God

I'm still contemplating the greatness of God. While thinking today, my mind went to other relationships I have. I thought of my best man, Pat. Bobby, the 6'7" giant who is not only a giant physically, but also spiritually. Then there is Rodney, my camp director friend who uses all of his talents beautifully. Of course, there's David, my old prayer group friend (whom I'll see at Pepperdine!! I just had to include you, David, because I know you read this blog.) All of those relationships, even though I may go some time without talking to them, start up where we left off. I can call Pat and even though we rarely see each other, we'll talk about something and laugh as we did in college.
But when it comes to our relationship with God, when we let it go, it's not the same. Yes, we can come back and yes, God will forgive us, and yes, He is always the same. But there's an emptiness there that must be repaired. I know when people say that they don't feel God is as close as He used to be, my common reply is, "Who moved?" The journey back is not always an easy one. It's not because God is standing there wagging his finger, arms folded with a "I told you so" attitude. It's because in order to return, I must submit myself to the reality of my own foolishness. It's guilt that destroys.
That's why it's so important to have that every day, every hour, every second relationship with God. To know that He's right here with me. That I reach out and talk all the time, at any given moment, often. And instead of the bond becoming weaker through my own sin, I feel His arms around me protecting and blessing and being my friend. Is that trivializing God? Oh, I don't think so. It only makes Him greater to know that the Creator of the Universe would even be willing to call me "friend?" No, I think that makes Him even greater. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

David U said...

You have a LOT of friends Jim....but as you said so well, God is your best friend!

Looking forward to the first week in May!

DU