Monday, March 27, 2006

Tulsa Memories

I looked around the arena. This arena hosts hockey games and monster truck events. Rodeos and roundups. If the walls could talk, they would probably tell of some of the colorful language used as the bull bucked off the cowboy or the hockey player was checked into the wall.
But what I heard was praise. Songs of praise. Words of praise. Hearts of praise. Nearly an hour before Max Lucado and Bob Russell spoke, the arena was nearly full. The excitement, the anticipation. The Tulsa Workshop was everything I expected and more.
I sang. I sang so loud you couldn't hear me. By that I mean, the singing was loud enough that I could sing as loud as I wanted to and not be embarrassed. Holy, Holy, Holy. We Shall Assemble on the Mountain. All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name.
God was pleased. I know He was. While I saw those whose arms were crossed, who carried their frowns on their faces and their feelings on their sleeves. As I've read the reports saying, "We cannot fellowship with the Christian church brethren until they repent of their sin." I think of Romans 5:8--"While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Why is it we hold a higher standard for others than we do ourselves? And who says they are the sinners?
We sang "When We All Get to Heaven." I'm sure there were some who refrained because they didn't believe it. But for some reason, it took on new meaning. Bob Russell, preacher for the largest Christian church in the U.S. requested we sing 728B, Our God, He is Alive. I think the place shook.
I think it was a pivotal moment. It was one of those moments, similar to Cane Ridge, that we will point to in the future and say it was a key moment in our movement. There will be many who will be able to tell their grandchildren, I was there. I look forward to it.
More to say later. Karen is fussing at me because I'm not blogging fast enough. Too much on my desk and too much to do. Have a great day!! JW

3 comments:

Karen said...

Fussing at you? Oh dear man, you haven't heard fussing yet. :O) Glad to hear you had a wonderful time, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you after you get your desk cleared off.

David U said...

Yeah, and I will be proud to say I was there with ya! Have you EVER in your life heard prettier singing? UNBELIEVABLE!

I was blessed to get to see you and Martha, and I can't WAIT for Pepperdine!

Your brother,
DU

Scotty G said...

Aside from the outstanding singing, that I wish could go on and on, one of the things I love about Tulsa is traveling with good friends, talking about the sermons through the wee hours of the morning and dreaming of how we can change the world when we get home.
How many times at Tulsa have I said, "I've always felt that way, now they are saying it from the pulpit!"

Praise God! It got me thinking about Louisville now.