Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Think About These Things

I'm one of these kind of people who thinks of a song when someone says a certain phrase or I pass a certain place. This morning, the old mind was flowing. I was driving down the road thinking about God's leading me. I thought of "The Lord's My Shepherd, I'll Not Want." I passed the Krispy Kreme place and saw the Hot Donuts Now sign. My mind went to "Yield Not to Temptation." In Starbucks, one of the baristas asked me where I was from. My mind thought, "This World is Not My Home."
Now you may think I'm crazy and I'm making this all up. I promise you, that's how my mind works and those are songs I thought of this morning during my regular stuff.
But think what happens when we fill our minds with garbage. What comes out when situations come up? When I was a kid there was a song by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap called "Young Girl." Here are some of the lyrics:

Young girl get out of my mind.
My love for you is way out of line,
Better run girl, you're much too young, girl.


Now I ask you, what was on the guy's mind? I have to admit, I didn't know when I was a kid singing those words at the top of my voice. I can only imagine what my parents were thinking. They were probably in the other room clutching their chests. But to this day I still remember those words. Scary isn't it?
I had an elder tell me one time that A Capella (the singing group) was one of the worst things that had ever happened to the church. I told him I would rather sing "Angels watching over me," rather than "I want to sleep with you baby all night long, yeah, yeah, yeah.!" He smiled and agreed. He never knew that I had slammed him.
In my roundabout way, I'm trying to say, "Let's be careful with what we listen to." Our mind is amazing and it absorbs amazing amounts of information. Information that tends to come out at weird times. Let's be filling our minds with good, wholesome, thoughts of grace and mercy. What is it Paul said, "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admireable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Have a great day. JW

------

I'll be out of the blogging world for a few days. Going to Branson with my wife and son. My son will be performing at a show choir competition at the Tri-Lakes Center in Branson. We'll be home for a few days and then off to Tulsa for the Soul-Winning Workshop! Can't wait. See you then.

JW

2 comments:

David U said...

Gary Puckett and Union Gap......WOW, you are an old fart! :) Have a great time in Branson, and I may see you in Tulsa.

DU

Karen said...

I will be there in spirit. Looking forward to May; it can't get here fast enough!