Monday, May 15, 2006

Akeelah and the Bee

I haven't seen the movie yet, but there is a lot of rave reviews for the Akeelah and the Bee. Starbucks have evidently helped to produce this movie because you can't miss their advertising any time you go into one of their stores. What caught my eye recently was a sign.
Now you have to realize that Starbucks want you to buy their products. So they have a little advertisement featuring their "drink of the day." Or sometimes there is a recommendation from one of the baristas. What caught my eye was the advertisement for Akeelah and the Bee and a recommedation from a barista. The recommendation was for a Tripple Soy Latte. Now, I spelled it just like they spelled it. I thought it was funny that they were advertising a movie about a spelling bee and couldn't spell "triple" correctly.
I had a coach several years ago who was trying to teach me how to shoot a basketball. I would try and try to shoot it as he wanted me to. Finally, in frustration he took the ball away from me and said, "Here, like this." And he shot the ball. The ball bounced off the rim. I said, "Just like that, huh Coach?" Dumb, dumb, dumb! You never say things like that if you want to play. His response was telling. He said, "Do as I say, not as I do."
Isn't that the way we often live our lives? We'll tell people what they should do, but we aren't willing to heed our own advice. We advertise tripple lattes and expect perfect spelling. We'll tell people how to shot the ball, but won't make the basket ourselves. We'll inform people how they ought to worship or live their lives, but won't follow Jesus. Let's face it and let's call it what it is. We are hypocrites. But praise God, he loves us anyway!
I think the good advice would be the advice that Paul gave. He said, "Follow me as I follow Christ." He didn't say, "Follow me." He did put the caveat, "...as I follow Christ." Good advice. Good words. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

The movie was good. Noah won't stop asking me to give him words to spell now.

Spelling bees sure have changed. When I went to the regional bee in St. Louis back in '75 or '76, no one ever told me to study like that or suggested I should get a coach... never mind memorizing Latin and Greek roots. And I got tripped up because I didn't understand a blinkin' St. Louis accent. Naw, I'm not bitter... much. :O)