Thursday, May 11, 2006

God Does Weird Things

We were sitting on home last night, ready to retire, when my son said to me, "God sure does weird things sometimes." What was going through his mind? What brought that on? Being the astute father I am, I said, "What do you mean?" "I don't know," he said. "He just does weird things sometimes," repeating what he had just said.
I told him that God sees the whole picture and not just the little bit we see everyday...and then the conversation was over.
You know, he's right. God does weird things. He does a lot of things that just don't make sense. If I were God for a day, I'd sure do things differently. You know, if the apostle Paul had been sitting in my living room last night, he might have said the same thing as Nate did. Instead, Paul said, "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." Translated, "God sure does weird things sometimes."
I'm glad Nate noticed that at the ripe old age of 16. I hope my answer was sufficient to make him think. With 16-year-olds, you take what you can get. I think he heard it. Now if I could just understand it. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

Karen said...

That Nate has acquired a lot of wisdom in his 16 years. Must be from hanging out with such wise people as his folks!

Franklin Wood said...

If I only had a quarter for every time a teenager uttered a nugget of wisdom...!
I love it because teenagers are pretty astute sometimes. They may not be able to describe ALL of what they are thinking, but that doesn't matter! Teens ask the hardest questions sometimes! Keeps me on my toes!