Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Kimball

Amytrophic lateral sclerosis. ALS, better known as Lou Gehrig's disease. If you're a sports fan, you'll know who Lou Gehrig is. Tom Watson's caddie, Bruce Edwards, also had ALS. This is a disease that's supposed to happen to someone you read about in the news. But yesterday I received a phone call that changed all that.
The first time I remember meeting Kimball Matkins was when I was Vice President for Enrollment Management at York College. President Wayne Baker and I drove over to Des Moines, Iowa to meet him. His young wife had just died of cancer leaving him with two children; one had just graduated from York College, the other just entering. We wanted to hire him because he was older than most college admissions recruiters and also because we felt that we could help him in a difficult time for him.
He came and was a wonderful recruiter. He traveled a lot. He talked to a lot of students. Eventually, he met another lady who had three little boys. They decided to marry. Several times he came into my office asking if he could apply for another job on campus because he didn't want to travel as much now that he had another family to look after. I told him I understood, but selfishly I didn't want him to get another job because he was such a good recruiter. He never did get another job. He spent his tenure working for me. (Recently, they made him the director of financial aid.)
We didn't always agree on everything--theologically or from an admissions perspective. But Kimball was always full of grace, never rude or hard to get along with, or dogmatic. He would smile that Kimball smile and everything seemed fine.
I had heard that he had some nerve damage, but it wasn't fully explained. I saw him in Kansas City and he explained that he felt that his legs, his arms, even his chest, were not as strong. My wife saw him walking and it broke her up. He told me about his upcoming visit to the Mayo Clinic. In fact, our conversation was about a lady who works at the Church of Christ house in Rochester who has known me since I was a baby, probably before. He was going to see her on his pending visit.
Yesterday I received a phone call saying that Kimball has been diagnosed with ALS. He has been given two to five years to live. That's not fair. Had he not remarried, I could have understood it. But now there are three boys and a wife who look to him for guidance. I can't get him off my mind right now. So when you pray today, tonight, whenever you prayer, please keep Kimball in your prayers. Pray for God's will to be done. And thank God for the blessings that you receive everyday. Thank you.

1 comment:

Roger said...

Jim, thanks for your wonderful post about Kimball, or as I knew him growing up, just Kim. We spent endless hours together a few times a year when his family would come to our farm or when ours would go to their house in Watertown, SD and later in Wilcox, NE. We played baseball together, rode horses together, played football and basketball. We worshiped together and slept in the same room. We laughed about the 'cold water dance' we would occasionally perform while doing the dishes. We were kids together. The last time I saw Kim was when he and Debbie had me come and visit on a business trip. That was in the early '90's and I remember little about the short time together but that it was great to be with my cousin again after so many years.
I grieve at the fact Kim has ALS, but I rejoice in his spirit as God continues to bless those of us who get his regular updates. He's looking at this through the eyes of his Savior, Jesus Christ, and we'll be the richer for having journeyed with him through this time.
Thanks again,
Roger (Kimball's cousin)