Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Time

Driving to work today, there was a guy in a Lexus behind me at the light coming out of my subdivision. As soon as the light changed, he roared past me. I guess he was in a hurry. Funny, because at the very next light, at the slow speed I was going, I caught up to him. He sped on as soon as the light changed and swerved in and out of traffic and...yep, you guessed it, at the next light I sauntered right in behind him again. We got on the interstate for really less than one mile where we both got off. I have to admit it, he made it through the yellow (really red) light on the street where I was turning. I noticed he got stuck in the traffic at the next light. I didn't catch him this time and I'm sure he made it to his destination, perhaps 10 seconds before I got to mine. But what was his state of mind when he got there? "The traffic was horrible! I couldn't believe how much traffic there was! Everything was moving so slowly!"
After this gentleman had sped on, I came up behind another car. This time it was a real nice convertible. I can't tell you what kind it was, but there was an older lady with bleach blond hair. When she turned her head I could see she had the leopard patterned sun glasses. The top on the car was down, she was in the left lane, and she was driving very slowly. I chuckled to myself as I thought about the other guy in the Lexus. Now here was the way to drive--convertible top down, enjoying the 71 degree weather, and who cares if the wind is blowing your hair!!
The Greeks had a god named Chronos. You can see where we get some of our words from this Greek root. Words such as chronicle, chronic, chronometer. This god was a cannibal. He ate his children. He devoured the things that were most precious to him. Let me ask you a question. Do you devour time or does time devour you?
There's another word for time in the Greek. As best as I can spell it, it's kairos. It's the enjoyment of the time we have. A time and a place for everything. Kind of like the time mentioned in Ecclesiastes.
Enjoy your time. Don't hear the ticking of the seconds going off the clock. Hear the laughter of the moment, the birds in the trees. Be still and know God. Have a great day.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm just counting time... See you Friday!

Donna G said...

I need this lesson today....thanks!