Thursday, May 18, 2006

Marriage

I just read where Paul McCartney and his wife are splitting after four years. Nobody is expressing sadness over the divorce. Instead, what I keep reading is how much money Paul will lose in the settlement. Up to $380 million some predict. As I drove to work today, I saw a small, Honda convertible sports car with a license tag that said "PRENUP" on it. I laughed audibly, but then realized the sadness of the situation.
It seems that marriage is not based on mutual love and relationship anymore, only in mistrust due to how and when the marriage will end. The words "til death do us part" means nothing anymore. Jerry and Lynn Jones were here at our church in the fall and Jerry begins with a session on unselfishness. Other than Jesus, which there is no other foundation that Him, the next principle of marriage must be unselfishness. When we quit with the "what's in it for me" attitude, our marriages will work. And strangely enough, when we do that, our marriage becomes extremely satisfying and there is something for "me."
Sorry. I had to vent. Have a great day. JW

No comments: