Monday, May 08, 2006

Pepperdine

Where do I start? Everyone asks, "How were the Pepperdine lectures?" I can't point to any one thing and say, "That was the defining moment or lecture or comment for me." But what I got was spiritual renewal, a time for great visits with great friends, and a time to get away from the madness of the ordinary life.
The singing was beautiful. I do have one complaint. Karen and Brian are laughing as I speak. Here's my gripe. We spent all day walking up and down the hills (mountains?) of the Pepperdine campus attending classes, lectures, receptions, lunch, and praise team concerts. Then we would get into the auditorium for the evening lectures and what did they want us to do?.....Stand up! Stand up for this song. Stand up for this verse. Be seated. Stand up! Sit down! Invitation? You can't sit down for that? By the end of the day the old thighs were hurting along with other strategic parts of my body. Hence, the Scripture was true, "Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
I saw people I hadn't seen for 30 years. I met people that I didn't know, but who knew my brother in France. I met people whom I knew by reputation. And I saw people I don't get to see enough.
The trip home (on my birthday) was uneventful. But I did get into town at 6:34 and had to be at my son's high school for a 7:00 performance. I think I only missed one number. By the time we really got home, it was after midnight. But to be home with family was very good. All in all it was a good trip. If you haven't been, you need to go. I'm still trying to catch up. Maybe by the end of the week. Have a great day. JW

3 comments:

David U said...

Sure glad you could come, Jim! Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY....late! SORRY!

Tell Martha hi from Searcy.

Love ya,
DU

Karen said...

In case I didn't say it often enough, I'm so glad you came. Thanks for spending time with us in the evenings. It felt like old times again.

Next year, bring the whole family!

Donna G said...

Maybe someday...????