Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Contrasts II

I know I've already written about contrasts. But this is my blog and I can write about anything. Right?
Last night I had to make a trip to the grocery store. Driving into the parking lot the Casting Crowns song, "If We Are The Body" came on the radio. I paused for a few minutes listening to the words of that great song. "If we are the body, why aren't his hands reaching, why aren't his words teaching.....?" I had to listen to the entire song because it was really speaking to me at that moment. Then I walked into the grocery store and heard "Joy to the World." No, not "Joy to the world, the Lord is come. Let earth receive its King." But "Joy to the world, all you boys and girls, joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, joy to you and me." What a contrast from "Why aren't our hands reaching" to "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" and by the way, he had some pretty good wine.
The contrast between Jesus and the world is so dramatic. Yet we try to blur the lines, minimize the screen, and trivialize the difference. John said, "Don't love the world's ways. Don't love the world's goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world--wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important--has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out--but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity." (I John 2:15-17, The Message).
"Set for eternity." I like that. That's what I'm working toward...being set for eternity. Have a great day. JW

No comments: