Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Friends

I don't know why I've been thinking about this this morning, but I have been thinking about my friends. My wife is my best friend, of course. But a song came on the radio that reminded me of my best man. My son is named after him. It was a song that made us laugh when we were in college. I was there when they thought he might have cancer. He was there when I caught an elbow in the mouth and lost my front tooth. He was there when Martha and I married. One of the first calls I received when Mom died was from him. We really don't talk that much any more because he lives so far away. But when we do have the opportunity to get together, we begin where we left off.
Then there's Bobby...all 6 feet 7 inches of him. We met as a result of our wives. They met as a result of a tragic car accident. Once again, when Mom died, Bobby and Jayme drove over four hours to be with us for maybe 2 hours, then drove home. They couldn't be there for the funeral, but they were there as fast as they could. Bobby and I have done some dumb things. We went to a Halloween party as sychronized swimmers. I love both of these men. Proverbs says "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." I'm closer to these guys than I am my own brothers.
My mind goes back to songs again--"Friends are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them." "You just call out my name and you know wherever I am, I'll come running to see you again." I have to tell you, I tear up when I think of them. They would do anything for me, even when I don't deserve it.
My life has been blessed with many friends such as these. I could make a list. I've been so blessed. And so have you. Make a list. Call a friend. Thank God for your friends. We are so blessed!! Have a great day! JW

No comments: