Monday, May 16, 2005

Stop Lights

It never fails. I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. There's a time limit and I've got to get to the appointment at a certain time. My wife and I have different theories about driving. (I'm sure you and your spouse are totally different!) My theory is the lights are set by good people. They understand traffic flow and are synchronized to get maximum efficiency from the traffic patterns. And if that means sitting at a light for a few short seconds, it still is faster if you go the more direct route even if there are stop lights.
My wife on the other hand feels that one must continue moving. Go two blocks over and then cut back. Miss all the lights. Even if it means you are going three miles out of the way, you are going faster if you are moving all the time.
Just last Friday we were both in the car going to an important appointment when we went down a particularly business street in Omaha. Honest to goodness, I hit every light. Every light. I'm not kidding, every light. (Going home, I could have sworn the lights went from yellow back to green so I could go through, but going home I was in no hurry.)
Doesn't Satan do that to us? We get into the bustle of life and need to get where we want. A stop light here and a stop light there. Soon we get discouraged and don't pursue the original goal. Instead we go on a more circuitous route and never really make it to our destination. Don't let him play those games. Stay on course. I'm still convinced that the lights are set by good people. And if it means an occasional wait, enjoy the scenery. It may just surprise you. Have a good day! JW

No comments: