Friday, May 20, 2005

Jason

His name is Jason. Here are the facts about him. He wears nice suits. He drinks Starbucks. He studies his Bible. I've seen him there several times, but today I went up to him and introduced myself. It's my day off. I don't have the usual khakis and polo shirt. I don't look "normal" today. I have jeans, a t-shirt, a cap, and I haven't shaved. So I look like some guy off the street. But I've seen him there so many times and I've never said anything to him.
"Hi, my name is Jim White. I've noticed you reading your Bible and I appreciate you doing so. I'm the preacher across the street at the Southwest Church of Christ. I know I don't look too good today, but I wanted you to know that I appreciate you being a Christian." "God comes in all forms," he said. "I'm proud to study my Bible here. You preach across the street? Maybe I'll come here you sometime."
As I left with my chai in my hand, he said, "God bless, Jim." It made my day. I couldn't help but think there are more Jasons out there. They're on the same journey I am. And they want to know Jesus. People who are searching their Bibles, looking to better know the Creator, their Lord. I hear about judicial appointments and the like. Murders, rapes, extortion, kidnappings--the newspaper is full of these stories. And you don't read about lying, cheating, dishonesty in the workplace, lust, greed, and other things that go on constantly. But I still believe there are Jasons out there. There's still a lot of salt...a lot of light. Have a great day! JW

No comments: