Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Honorable Dave Arterburn

I did something yesterday that I've never done before. I went to see a new district judge sworn in. It was an amazing blend of pomp and commonness. But what was so impressive to me were the words I heard about one of our church members, the Honorable Dave Arterburn. You see, as a preacher, you are privy to a lot of information about people that you would really prefer not to know about. You see the struggles, the fights, the defeats, the ugly side of Satan. But this was wonderfully refreshing. I heard words such as "morality," "values," "integrity," "hard work," and "fairness." Words we don't hear very often any more.
What was even more impressive is that the courtroom was full. People were standing because there weren't enough chairs. There was a proud family sitting there including wife, three children, father, mother, sister, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law. Members of his church family. Colleagues from the Attorney General's office, and a host of other friends and acquaintances were also there. And all were proud to say they knew him. These are the types of words and occasions that usually only happen at funerals. But it was wonderful to hear them about a man who is well-respected and well-thought of because he follows God.
Wow! There's still hope for us. Even after yesterday's blog, there's still hope. Dave, I'm praying for you, man. You continue to be the example you have been and are. God honors people like you.
By the way, I asked if he could get me out of speeding tickets and he referred me to the county judge. So he's not much help there!! Have a great day. JW

No comments: