Monday, May 23, 2005

Sunrise, Sunset

Where does the time go? Every time I turn around right now I hear the song "Sunrise, Sunset." "How did she get to be a beauty? When did he grow to be so tall?" I've been going through pictures recently. Looking at my little girl--just after she was born being held by her great-grandmother, standing next to her grandfather while he looks at her with such a proud look on his face, wearing a "Belle" Halloween outfit, seeing her in nice dress just before or after a choir concert, prom pictures, on and on. It makes me teary-eyed.
You see, my little girl who was born just yesterday, is getting married this week. She's 22 years old. It's time. But I'm not ready. I have to admit that I'm looking forward to not having to feed her (although I've been told that they'll be at our house more). She said something about her mom buying her some shoes. I told her she'd better hurry. "Why?" Because after Saturday she's on her own. Well, her husband can take care of her then. "And your birthday and Christmas are a long time from now," I said.
But I identify with all you fathers out there. It's time for her to go. We've spent the first 22 years preparing for this moment. It's just that you're never really ready.
"Sunrise, Sunset. Swiftly, fly the years. One season following another. Laden with happiness and tears."

JW

No comments: