Thursday, May 12, 2005

Worship

I've been thinking a lot about worship lately. What does worship look like? In the search for perfect worship, I find that there is no real definite constant in all of this.
When Noah came out of the ark, he built an altar. Who taught him that? Where were the specifications for acceptable altars? And wasn't it a waste to use one of the animals for the sacrifice. After all, we'd need all of them we could find to re-inhabit the earth.
When Job lost his family, his possessions, his health, he worshiped. He tore his robe and shaved his head. Is that what we're to do in order to worship?
Daniel, when told not to pray, prayed anyway. In fact, he prayed a prayer of thanksgiving. Even when there was nothing seemingly to be thankful for, Daniel thanked God.
Paul said to present our bodies as "living sacrifices." This was our reasonable act of worship.
I've rolled this around in my mind as to what worship is. Is it altar building, head shaving, thanksgiving, lives of worship? In my mind, worship has two components--one more important than the other. The first is attitude. Why do we worship? Worship comes out a an overwhelming sense of thanksgiving, awe, and the realization of how small we are, i.e. how much we sin and are unworthy and how impure we look compared to a perfectly pure God. The second is how we worship. It's my conclusion that the first attribute is more important than the second. We tend to switch them around. Get it right and then maybe the attitude will come around. My feeling is, get the attitude right and let the other manifest itself.
I'm not there yet. But I'm thinking. Have a good day. JW

No comments: