Friday, May 06, 2005

School Bus Logic

There are just some words in the English language that don't go together. I think it was comedian George Carlin who made the joke about "jumbo shrimp." Just seems like an oxymoron.
I'm driving down I-40 in Arkansas on Wednesday. I think it was around Russellville that I see a school bus. The familiar yellow color made me wonder what school group was in it, where were they going, and what would they do when they got to their destination. Then I saw painted on the bus these words...."Hillybilly Pride." Now realize this is Arkansas (although the most backward state I ever lived in was West Virginia. Sorry Mountaineer fans.). But those two words just don't go together. Oil and water, Republicans and Democrats. If you're a hillbilly, why would there be pride? And if you are proud about something, would it be about being backwards and dull? Perhaps this was a reflection on the educational system of Arkansas. (Wait a minute, I have a doctorate from the University of Arkansas. So what does that say about me!!!???)
We do similar things in our own vocabulary. We'll make statements like, "He's a faithful Christian." Of course! If they're a Christian, they're faithful. Or maybe the lesson in this is what we take pride in. Is it our church buildings? Our programs? Our minister? Paul said he didn't want to talk about anything except Jesus. And he even said, "For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the Cross of our Master, Jesus Christ. Because of that Cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate." Galatians 6:14, The Message. Have a great day! Jesus Pride!! JW

No comments: