Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Because I Can

I was in Starbucks and ordered my usual. Many times I don't have to even tell them what I want--Venti, no water chai. It's kind of like the scene from Cheers when Norm walks in. Everyone yells, "Norm!" It's not quite like that, but similar.
One of the familiar faces saw me and smiled. I knew I was welcome and things were aligning right in the universe. She picked up the cup and started making my drink. I had already slapped down my money on the counter and she walked over and picked it up. She did something that was quite unexpected....she handed it back to me. "What's this? You don't have to do this," I protested. "I know, but I can." "Why are you doing this?" I protested anew. "Because I can."
How about that for a Christian motto? Because I can. You don't have to be nice to me. You don't have to be honest, nobody will ever know. You don't have to let that car in. You don't have to smile. You don't have to serve. I know, but I can.
That seemed to be the attitude of Jesus. He didn't have to come to this earth to die for me. He didn't have to go through the agony. But I hear Him say, "I know, but I can." If He can, so can I. Have a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Because I can"

You just knew it was coming didn't you. Call me or I'll call you later today.