Thursday, September 01, 2005

What If It Had Been Me?

I've been thinking about this whole tragedy in the South. What if that had been me? How would I respond? Where would I go? What would I do? If I truly had nowhere to go and there was nothing left and there was no food or drinkable water, what would happen? Would I loot? Would I steal? Would I run?
See, it's easy to sit here in Nebraska and say they should have left, they should have done this, they should have done that. But really what would I have done? What would you have done? There's no way to communicate. These people haven't even seen the destruction elsewhere because they have no televisions. And if they had televisions, they wouldn't be able to see anything because there is no electricity. Think about this, the financial institutions can't be working. Schools are closed. I heard that Texas is opening up their schools to the refugees (for lack of a better term) from Louisiana. The University of Nebraska and Creighton have said they will allow students from the South to pay in-state tuition at Nebraska and Creighton has said they'll accept students from Jesuit colleges.
Now I can get just a sense of what Jeremiah was feeling when he wrote these words: "How deserted lies the city, once so full of people! How like a widow is she, who once was great among the nations! She who was queen among the provinces has now become a slave." (Lamentations 1:1) But in spite of all of this, Jeremiah was still able to say (and I quoted this several blogs back), "Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'" (Lamentations 3:22).
I would like to think I would wait on the Lord. I would like to think my brethren would watch after me. I would like to think that this would help to realize anew that this world is not my home. Count your blessings today. JW

No comments: