Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Jerk

Those of you who know me well know that I have my moments (by this I mean where I'm a jerk, a clod, an idiot, etc. Okay, okay, you can stop now!). I had one of those moments yesterday.
I have volunteered to help with the evacuees of Hurricane Katrina. They flew in a little over 150 of them to Omaha on Saturday. I was told by the pastor on the Mayor's Clergy Advisory Board to make sure I came down to the United Way Office in Omaha to get a badge for clearance on the floor of the Convention Center which is where the evacuees are housed. So I drove all the way downtown to have that done. I arrived to a smiling face who sent me up the steps to get my picture made. Now this office is probably a ten mile drive from my office. So I had to get on the interstate, drive all the way downtown to do this. When I got to the top of the steps, identified myself as the savior for all of those in the Convention Center, the lady said, "Well, the lady who takes those pictures for the badges isn't here." Seems she said she would be there at 1:00 pm and she wasn't there. And guess what? She had taken the picture taken equipment with her!!
"Just write your name and phone number on here and we'll call you when she gets back." I explained that I had driven all the way down to downtown Omaha from the Southwest part of town and it was possible for me to get all the way back out there before somebody called requiring another trip downtown just to get my picture made???? Then it hit me.
What if the attitude of those who had been flown to Omaha had been the same as mine. Lands knows they had much more of a right to feel that way as I did. Let's compare. They were flown hundreds of miles to a city that had no idea about. I drove 20 miles round trip in my van. They didn't have a vehicle. I did. They didn't have a house to return to. I did. They didn't have jobs to go to. I did. They were glad to receive assistance. I was mad that I was "put upon" to come to have my picture so I could help these people. You get the picture.
"I need to back off," I replied. "I'm sorry." At least I had the presence of mind to stop what I was doing and repent. So now I feel bad. I've asked God to forgive me. But I still feel bad.
So once again I ask you to count your blessings. Realize how much God has blessed you. And I ask that you would also forgive a jerk like me. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

And I thought this was going to be a Steve Martin post...

Thanks for calling last night. For a jerk, you're pretty nice. We'll give you a shout out from FL before the cruise.