Monday, September 26, 2005

Moving Day(s)

As I promised yesterday, I want to blog about my experiences last week while moving. There are so many lessons learned.
First, one accumulates a lot of stuff over 30 years of marriage and 51 years of life. And it's easy to see why you don't throw it away. For example, I was wearing a pair of jeans that really were destroyed in the process. By the time I finished my work on Saturday the jeans were really in a state of disrepair. There were four large holes in the legs. The pocket had a hole so that my keys stuck out of the pocket and out of the hole in the leg. They were filthy. (Actually, with all of the holes they were quite stylish!) The only thing they were good for was to throw away. Now I don't know if exhaustion just puts the mind into stall or what, but as I thought of those jeans, I thought, "You know, if you just wash these things, they'd made good work jeans." Remember those four holes? I would probably be arrested for public indecency. But my mind continued to work. "Or I could use these as a good rag." THROW THEM AWAY!!! That's all they're good for. But the mind works in weird ways when tired.
Second, have you noticed how all the stuff multiplies? You finish moving one room and then another, but you leave some things around that you'll get later. By the time you come back into the room the floor is once again covered. Clean up portions of it and come back later, the floor is covered again. Or the stuff finds its way into empty drawers. I've been cleaning up the leftover stuff for two days now!
Third, I'm convinced no one likes to move. I even called a service to see how much they would charge to move the heavy things. $96 an hour with a two hour minimum. Another words, it's $192 just to walk in the door and laugh at me. "Oh, Mr. White, it'll take at least two hours to move that refrigerator." (Muffled laugh) "Then the washer and dryer won't take too long. Perhaps another hour for those." (The laugh is a little louder) "And the couches and chairs, well that'll probably take another two hours because we have to stand those on end to get them out the door." (By this time they're on the floor hee-hawing) They don't like to move either so they make the price exhorbitant so you'll do it yourself.
Which brings me to the U-Haul place. I asked them why every U-Haul truck I've ever ridden was beat up, scarred, and generally in disrepair. Then they have the audacity to ask me if I wanted insurance! "For what!" The bumper is nearly off and the door barely closes, why would I want insurance? There's not going to be more damage to the truck in case of an accident! In fact, it may improve the appearance.
Needless to say, I'm tired and sore and ready to go back to work. But come on over and see the new place. Give us some time to hide all the stuff in the closets and basement. Oh, no, I just realized. It'll multiply again. Ahhhhhhhhhh! JW

No comments: