Monday, September 12, 2005

Smiling Jesus

We've been watching "The Gospel of John" based on the Good News Bible Translation. Although there are many things I don't agree with in their interpretation, I really like other things. Since it's word for word from the Scripture, it would be hard to disagree with that. But some of the visuals I struggle with. But they have every right to interpret that the way they want. (Man, that sounds like a jumbled brain!)
I love the way they have a smiling Jesus. I love some of the reactions of the people. As we watched their version of Jesus washing the feet of the apostles, I loved the way they interpreted Peter's response to Jesus when he knelt to wash his feet. There was a smile on both of their faces. It began very seriously, but then Peter realized it what Jesus was saying was so right on the money. He couldn't do anything but smile. And Jesus, rather than sternly rebuking or staring into space like a zombie as most movies do, he smiles back. Realizing that Peter's just a man who struggles with the concepts Jesus is trying to teach him, Jesus smiles.
I like that. When I struggle with life, Jesus smiles. Not because he doesn't care. On the contrary, because he does care! He knows what it's like. He's not making fun. It's a "it's going to be all right" smile.
My mom was best at it. When I was a little boy, I was supposed to take a nap. I coerced her into "if I take a nap, can I have a coke when I wake up?" bribe. I went to bed and didn't sleep a wink. I tossed and turned, played and made noise. It wasn't long after I went to bed, I got up. Mom looked at me with the the best stern face she had. I asked, "Can I have a coke now?" She couldn't keep a straight face. The furrowed brow turned into a smile. She took me into her arms and hugged me.
I'm not saying we can bribe Jesus. But Jesus loves me. This I know, for the Bible tells me so. So what a great day we can have with a Jesus who smiles. I hope you have one of those days. JW

No comments: