Wednesday, August 31, 2005

God be Glorified, Even in Times of Pain

I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to write today. Yesterday, I spent some time calling friends and others in Louisiana trying to find out the best way to help. The loss is devastating. Having spent two weeks working at the World's Fair in New Orleans in the 80s, I hurt for the city and the people who live there. The other side of that coin is, I really don't like the city of New Orleans. Bourbon Street and the French Quarter, Mardi Gras and all the junk that goes on down there just kind of turns my stomach. But then I'm torn again because of the suffering of the people. Nobody, I'm sorry, nobody--good or bad--should have to go through what they've gone through.
So what does one pray for? I pray that God will be glorified. Through all of this, I pray that God's love and goodness and care is shown through us, through the good Christian people of New Orleans, lower Mississippi, and Alabama. I pray that people will see those who, as Paul said, shine like stars in the universe. Lands knows they need to see some kind of light in the darkness in which they are now living. Be grateful for what you have today. JW

No comments: