Thursday, August 11, 2005

If You Love One Another

What are we known for in the church? We're known for a capella singing. We're known for taking the Lord's Supper every Sunday. We used to be known as the people who thought we were the only ones going to heaven. (I think I'll leave that judgment up to the One who is better suited to determine that).
But Jesus said, "By this all men will know you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:35). How many church splits do you know about? How many spats are going on in your church as we speak? How many all out fights, i.e. people not talking to one another, gossip, etc. are going on right now where you attend?
I say it's time to be known for what we are to be known for. I have only heard this about a church one time in my entire life time. How sad. It was a little church in McRae, Arkansas. I used to go down and lead singing there when I was in high school. They were sweet to each other. They enjoyed each other. And the people of the town knew it. I remember going out and knocking doors one time when I heard the comment. "Those people really love each other over there." It's the first and last time I've heard it.
Now we worry about church growth. We hire the finest consultants to tell us how to greet visitors (although you're not supposed to call them visitors). We hire youth ministers, involvement ministers, personal evangelism ministers, worship leaders, etc. (DON'T GET ME WRONG!! I don't think any of these are bad.) But if we want to grow as the Lord wanted us to, I mean really grow, why don't we start loving each other? Wow! What a novel approach. God forbid that we try something Jesus told us to do. Please have a good day. By the way, I love you! JW

No comments: