Monday, August 29, 2005

It's For All

I had a first for me yesterday. I baptized someone. Now that's not a first and where we baptized is not a first. (By the way, it was in the baptistry at church). I've baptized in swimming pools, in creeks, in church baptistries. But this is the first time I've baptized someone who was disabled. Let me tell the story.
Not too long ago I received a letter in the mail from someone seeking God. She had been studying the Bible via the internet. She mentioned that her background had been in another church and she obediently complied with her parents, but it was senseless to continue attending that church (which was closer to her house) if she didn't believe what they taught. She said that she felt that what we taught was closer to what the Bible taught. I e-mailed her back and told her I would contact her soon. It was a difficult time for me--we had had one of our teenagers at church murdered, my daughter's wedding, yada yada yada. Shame on me! I don't know, perhaps Satan was using me, perhaps I felt that this was another one of those letters that wouldn't pan out.
But she persisted. I called her and set up an appointment. As we met for the first time to discuss the Scripture, she already had a wonderful sense of the importance of the Word. Before she opened up the Word to study, she said she prayed that God would open her heart to what she needed to hear.
We have studied for several months now and Thursday she decided she needed to put on Christ in baptism. It took two of us. Baptistries are not made for this, but we made it. What it re-enforced in me was this--the gospel is for all.
I've heard the Polish minister of religion (who was an atheist!) speak to our congregation when I worked in Louisiana, I've seen the Gospel translated to the hearing impaired, I've been to Russia and to Trinidad, I've been to camp and my conclusion is, the gospel is for all! Red and yellow, black and white, able, disabled, Arab and Muslim, the gospel is for all! When we quit deciding who should hear the gospel and who shouldn't, then God will bless us and use us mightily! But it will happen one soul at a time. God can't affect change in the world until He affects change in me.
Lord, please change me. Change my heart, change my thoughts, change my life. I want You to come in and lead me, guide me. Take me where You want. Use my lips, my mind, my feet, my hands, my heart. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen! Have a great day! JW

1 comment:

David U said...

God is good.....ain't He?

DU