Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A Salute to Moms

I know it's not Mother's Day or anything. And since my mom has gone to her reward, I guess I can celebrate Moms anytime I want. Well, today is the day.
Usually, I am the last person to leave the house in the morning (since I'm a preacher and only work two days a week!). Nate wanted to go to school a little early and since Martha was getting ready for work, I obliged. Not a problem. Just throw on the jeans and put on a hat and some glasses and I'm good to go. When I got home, Martha was ready to leave so I've got the bathroom all to myself. Now, not to be gross, but the bathroom time is something one doesn't rush. But the dog really wanting to go outside. I mean, this dog is so tame she slinks in the corner on most occassions. But when she's jumping up on your leg with this, "I gotta go now!" look on her face, I knew I had to stop whatever I was doing (no matter how inconvenient) and get her outside. Sure enough, she wasn't lying. So now back to finish the task. My cell phone rings and it's my wife. "Honey, I forgot my white tennis shoes this morning. Could you bring them up here?" My reply? "Now??!!" "Well, I have to start my patient in ten minutes, so yeah." So the clothes go back on, I find the shoes, and off I go. It's not too far to where she works, but it is morning and there is somewhat of a rush hour in Omaha, Nebraska. It's only 5 or 10 minutes over. But you have to realize that it's then 5 or 10 minutes back also.
Now I like to be at work around 8:00 most mornings. But now I haven't even started getting ready and it's 8:15. I've taken my son to school, I've let the dog go outside to do her business, I've taken my wife's white tennis shoes to her at work and I haven't had any time for myself!! And that's when it hit me. This is what Moms do all the time. The only difference between Moms and me was they do it with a smile on their faces and I had a snarl on my lips.
And so today, I salute those Moms who give their lives unselfishly to make the day go well. They prevent disaster, they make the day go smoothly, and they love doing it. Thank you, Moms. Make sure you thank your mother or your wife today. If you don't have a Mom, thank somebody else's Mom. They truly exemplify the spirit of servanthood that Jesus talks about so frequently in Scripture. Have a great day! (If you do, it'll probably be on account of your Mom helping!) JW

No comments: