Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Real World

One of my pet peeves is these reality shows that are on TV right now. I happened to be at the Nebraska-Baylor football game when they were filming the reality show with Tommy Lee. They shot one "reality" scene with him probably three times before they got it the way they wanted.
I say that to say this. One of the things we do at camp is to separate the young men and young women and have them talk to each other. We want them to reflect on the week and let others know how much they mean to each other. One of the young men got up and talked about how much he enjoyed camp, but when they would go back to the real world, they would be challenged in their lives. One of the youth ministers stood up and made a terrifically insightful comment. He said, "This is the real world. Outside of the gates of the camp is a sham. This is the way God created us and intended us to be."
You know, he's right. God created the Garden of Eden so that He could have a relationship with Adam and Eve. But they messed it up. He made a covenant with Israel so He could be their God and they would be His people. But they followed other Gods. He gave them several chances and they continued to turn their hearts away. Then He sent His own Son. He wanted to write His law in our hearts. Now what do we do?
Do we live in the real world? Or do we continue to chase the dead-end streets that Satan continues to throw at us day in and day out? A relationship. That's all God wants with us. "And He walks with me and talks with me, and He tells me I am His own." "My God and I go in the field together. We walk and talk as good friends should and do." Now that's reality! Have a great day. JW

No comments: