Thursday, August 18, 2005

Intelligent Design and my Van

It's supposed to be 92 degrees in Nebraska today. It's a little bit unusual because this is the time of year things really kind of begin to cool off. Why would I mention temperature in a blog? My van does not have air conditioning. Hasn't for two years. Two years ago about this time, Nate and I were on our camp in Arkansas when the van made a strange whining noise, then a a bump, then no air conditioning. The mechanic said it was the compressor that went out. Now I could spend at least $2000 on a van with over 152,000 miles just to maybe, possibly retrofit a new compressor (new government standards placed while my vehicle was aging) or drive it without air. I chose the latter. Actually it hasn't been too bad until this summer.
What does this have to do with anything. Okay, I'll make my point. You know me. I'm a preacher and it takes 20 minutes for the introduction and 5 minutes to make the point. See? There I go again. The internal combustion engine and the vehicle that goes with it is a marvelous invention. Thousands of moving parts working in synch so that I can cruise down the streets of Omaha and the highways of Nebraska at amazing speeds. What would you say if I told you my van looks better, runs better, and is a better vehicle than the day I bought it? What would you think if I told you I purchased it at a wrecker service and it had been involved in an accident? It used to be a Ford Festiva, but over the years with a wreck here, a fender bender there, wear and tear there, it has become a Mercury Villager. I know the air doesn't work, but I anticipate that I'll have some work done. It does have a ding or two on the exterior, but that will eventually go away and it will look like new. You would probably say, "What has been in the Starbucks chai you've been drinking!"
Yet, in a similar way, that is what the scientific world of the day is trying to say about human beings! A little mutation here, a little natural selection there and voila! Here we are. There's been a huge debate about the intelligent design "theory" and whether it should be taught in our public schools. People have nearly blown a gasket (back to the car illustration) because sane people would (heaven forbid) even think about suggesting that there has to be a Great Designer who created us.
Look at the wonders of our bodies. The Psalmist even knew it when he said, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 139:14) We heal ourselves...blood clots, skin heals, scars are formed and we are as good as new. "We still have to have surgery! It's like getting the air conditioner fixed!" But look at our bodies. The brain is an unbelievable organ. The eye is better than any digital camera ever made. The heart is an unbelievable muscle. Our filtering system for our blood and body's nutrients are finer than any waste management system in the country. And it was an accident!?!? Please. That take more faith than.....well, faith! I am fearfully and wonderfully made. There is an Intelligent Designer. I just talked to Him. He's shaking His head at all of the "smart" people of our world. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

David U said...

Amen.........and again I say AMEN!

Good one, bro! Sorry about the air-conditioning.

DU

steve said...

God Bless!

If you get a chance could you please say a prayer for a little girl named "Rebekah" who has cancer. God knows who you will be praying about! Thank you so much!

Trying to rally some good Christian Prayer for her and her family!