Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Golfing for Life

I've just finished a round of golf that has left me completely worn out. I don't usually play on real nice courses, but this is the Arnold Palmer Player's Club Course here where I live. Now I have a pretty good take on golf because I'm not very good and it is purely recreational for me. So I don't usually get too upset because there is nothing riding on it.
On the other hand, I thought of the professionals who go out every day and hit the ball. A missed fairway here, a sand trap there, a yip on a short putt over there and they lose thousands of dollars. No wonder they get upset. I dont have to worry about that.
But I wonder what would happen if we took our lives that seriously. A broken relationship here, a lost soul there, a ill-used word over there. Praise be to God who gives us the mulligans (extra shots when you muff one, for those of you who are non-golfers), let's us have the gimme's (don't have to putt the ball if it's reasonably close to the hole), and doesn't make us count every shot because we completely miss the ball. We serve a God of forgiveness. Golf is not a good metaphor for life because there are strict rules that must be obeyed or you sustain certain penalties. I'd like to golf with God. In fact, I think I just did. Have a good day. JW

No comments: