Monday, August 08, 2005

Maranatha

Well, I'm back! Most of you, if not all of you, are saying, "Were you gone?" Been at Green Valley Bible Camp in Rogers, Arkansas. It's a little bit of heaven on earth. It's what God intended the world to be.
I could write from a number of experiences from camp. And I think I will. My friend and camp director (technically, I'm the co-director) didn't show up until Thursday. He was coaching a thirteen-year-old Babe Ruth baseball team in a regional tournament. His youngest daughter was anticipating his return. She was contemplating dedicating her life to Jesus and she wanted to talk to her dad. Unfortunately, (fortunately for him) his team kept winning. They won the winners bracket and then lost two in a row to place second in the tournament. But when my friend's daughter learned her dad had another night to play baseball, she wept. When he did show up on Thursday, she was sooo excited. Her eyes lit up. She hugged his big neck. It was a tear jerker. (My eyes are filling up with tears as I write this) He baptized her on Thursday night. It's been my privilege to see him baptize all three of his children.
What went through my mind was the anticipation of a father's return. Are we looking forward to the return of our Lord as Marissa was looking for her father's return? Do our hearts ache when he doesn't return? (The next question we can't answer, but I'll ask it any way.) Will we be as excited to see Him return as Marissa was to see her dad?
Paul said, "Come, O Lord!" The word is maranatha. Right before this, Paul said, "If anyone does not love the Lord--a curse be on him." (I Corinthians 16:22). The word for curse is anathema. Encouragement or curse? Where are you today? Lord, come quickly! Have a good day. JW

1 comment:

David U said...

I'm with the "hurry back" crowd. Today is a day late! :)

Glad you had a great week at camp!

DU