Monday, January 23, 2006

Finish the Race

Losing is such a hard concept. Our world looks at those who do not take home the big trophies as failures. You hear sports personalities with quotable quotes such as, "Just win, baby!" to "If it doesn't matter if you win or lose, why do they keep score." Don't misunderstand me. As a former athlete, (about 100 pounds ago), I wanted to win as much as the next guy. I play to win even today if it's cards, HORSE, or any other game. But what ever happened to doing your best? And if you do your best and don't win, why are you the loser?
I say that because if you read my blog, you'll know I went to my son's show choir competition this weekend. I saw hundreds of kids who had practiced their routines thousands of hours do wonderful shows with smiles on their faces. You could literally see their sweat rolling down their faces. They were worn out at the end of their performances. And as they say, "they left everything out on the stage (court, field, whatever the venue)."
But because my son's group got 1st runner-up, they lost. I told my son, "Get used to having a lot of losses in your life." I know that sounds cold, but I can't put the entire conversation there. You know, I'm proud, you did great, get 'em next time, did you do your best?, etc.
I think that carries over into our Christian walk. I'm a sinner. I sin on a daily basis. Now I could compare myself to others and I'm better than others. I'm also a lot worse than many more. And when I set myself against the perfect standard of Jesus, my pitiful life seems very, very anemic. It's not about winning. If you didn't hear that, let me say it again. It's not about winning. It's about finishing. I like marathoner's attitudes. I know there are winners in these 26 mile races, but everyone stands and cheers for all who finish.
Paul said, "For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, (Emphasis mine)I have kept the faith. Notice he didn't say he won the race. That race has already been won. Jesus is the winner. I just ride on His coattails.
Friends, let's relax a little bit. Let's relax a lot. We don't have to worry about the win. The "W" is already in the column. We just need to finish. Just make sure you're on the team. All right, enough of the sports analogies! Contentment, Trust, Joy, Peace--all of these terms should be in our vocabulary. Not only in our vocabulary, but in our life. Now go out and have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Now I am pumped up!!

Seriously, I hate that we have to make everything a competition. I would not let my daughter get involved in beauty pagents, becaue it is so subjective.