Tuesday, January 24, 2006

It's Nice to Be Nice to the Nice

We've been talking a lot about outreach at our congregation lately. When you mention evangelism to most, you think of international mission trips, Jule Miller film strips, and the evangelism committee meeting in room 8 (usually the smallest room at the building). But outreach is to be lived by all. I purposely used that word lived. Evangelism is not a program or a trip, but it is a way of life. The problem with that is we have to be nice.
I remember saying something ugly about someone and my mother saying, "Now, be nice." One of my favorite lines from M*A*S*H is "it's nice to be nice to the nice." The Roman writer says that we are to let "love be sincere." I heard someone say that if you can't be sincere, fake it. We're talking about being pleasant to be around. Being nice to people who don't deserve to be treated nicely. Having a smile on our faces. Being cheerful. Postively looking at life. Not complaining. Need I say more?
When we act that way we stand out. We are different. People will notice. And then, the opportunity comes to give the reason for the joy and the peace and the grace that makes you the way you are. And there it is, outreach. Poof, evangelism. It's being a light. It's being salt. It's being radically different from the negative, immoral world we live in and it's noticeable. I'm sorry. We preachers have made it theological, elitist, and specialized. Outreach and evangelism is the way we are and not a program we belong to. If we need programs, let's join the YMCA or Kiwanis. If we want to show Christ, let's put skin on Jesus and become the incarnational (oops, a theological word!) people that we should be. Now go out there and reach out! JW

3 comments:

Karen said...

We heard that word incarnational a lot this past weekend. And with all of the hullabaloo over Chad Allen and The End of the Spear, we'd do well to remember it. The world needs us to be Jesus... today's society will not be led to him by strictly intellectual means (i.e., Jule Miller filmstrips), but by relationship. And isn't that how Christ drew people to him?

Donna G said...

My husband has just returned from Japan where he was struck with the patience and politeness of everyone. Hearing his description made me ashamed of the way our countrymen act....but it should be a lot easier to tell who the Christians are in a culture where people are not habitually "nice".

I just wonder when folks look at me do they see a difference? I pray so.

David U said...

That IS for sure my favorite line from MASH! Craig and I used to say it all the time.

Thank goodness there was only one Frank Burns! :)

DU