Thursday, January 05, 2006

God Bopped Me

She had a smile on her face when she said it which makes the statement she made more remarkable. She said, "Sometimes God just has to bop me on the head." Now, remarks like that are usually accompanied by frowns or tears. But the story is a wonderful one.
She went to a Christmas party where the guests were to bring some kind of gift under $10. You know the kind of Christmas party we're talking about. Everyone gets a number, you pick a prize, the next person can take your prize. I never really liked the game because it seems that it increases greed and doesn't engender the attitude of the season. But, I regress. One person in the hustle of the evening didn't bring his gift. So my friend gave him an extra one she had bought for a possible door prize.
"I'll bring the gift to you later," he said, "and you can keep it for yourself." He did what he promised and he brought my friend the gift the next day. The gift was a "Purpose Driven Life" calendar. My friend said she had been wanting to read that book, but this had been a difficult time for her because of personal circumstances. She was determined to buy the book to read. Work wasn't scheduled for Monday so she was going to go to the bookstore to buy the book. (I failed to mention that in this traumatic time, my friend has moved to another location. You know what that does!! You can't find anything, etc.)
As she prepared to do her regular activities on Monday, she moved some papers and there on the table was the book..."Purpose Driven Life." It was a copy that had been written in, but had no name. She had no idea where it came from or how it got there. Turns out her brother had read it, thought she needed it, and gave it to her in a difficult time in her life. She didn't even remember him giving it to her nor how it go to the table.
I smiled and told her there must be an angel that put that book there. She told me she has been reading it, a better description might be engulfing it. And she said with a smile on her face, "It's been wonderful. I want to read ahead, but I'm doing it just like the book says." Who says angels aren't around today? Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

Donna G said...

It reminds me of that "gift of the spirit" we have it, its just buried under alot of "stuff".

Karen said...

I seem to mention a "bopping time" for you a couple of years ago. I'm glad you recognized it for what it was. Me, I think I sometimes mistake it for something else and don't give it the attention it deserves.