Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Reminders

As I came out of Starbucks today, I noticed two things that I notice every day. The first was the temperature. It's featured prominently on the bank that is located just to the west of Starbucks. The other was the American flag. One to remind me of the reality of the moment. The other a symbol of the country in which I live.
The overriding question of the moment is probably...So? It started me to think of the fact that we need to be reminded. As I was driving in to work my thoughts were how I need to return to the excitement I had recently of God in my life. Not that it has disappeared, but seemingly not as strong as they were say maybe a week ago. My mind drifted to the Israelites and I realized that I am a lot like them. Constantly, I need to be reminded of God's presence, His goodness, His love. Why is that? Why do I get so frustrated having to be reminded so often? And does anybody else have these same feelings? I guess it's a result of me being a part of the human race.
So what does this have to do with the temperature and the American flag? I'm glad you asked. Reminders. They are reminders. The Israelites had reminders that let them know every day that God was present. A cloudy pillar by day and a fiery one at night. They had altars. They had things that were constantly before them. And so I need them, too. "Are you talking about icons and idols?" Of course not. But I do have three wall hangings that are directly in front of me that I see every day. One talks of knowledge that comes from God. A quote from Proverbs 8. Another talks of God's wisdom, a quote from Proverbs 9. Another is an old leaf from a Bible printed in 1540. A reminder that God's Word is timeless. I also have a crystal cross, a recent purchase to remind me of the sacrifice that Jesus made for me. Bibles owned by my grandfathers and one of my mother's Bibles sit on the credenza. All to remind me that God is present, that He is sovereign, that He cares, that He is my God. What's your reminder? I hope you have them. Look at them long and hard and remember how good God is. Have a great day. JW

No comments: