Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Which Are You?

Dear Lord,
I'm so valuable to you. I'm not blatantly immoral like some others. My sins are only small and easy to forgive. I don't watch those television shows that make fun of you. I don't drink or smoke. I don't even swear very often. I go to church every time the doors are open (I know, I have to. I'm the preacher!). But even so, when I wasn't preaching, I was there. You are so fortunate to have me on your side. What would you do without me? I'm glad I'm not like those other people.

"God wasn't attracted to you and didn't choose you because you were big and important--the fact is, there was almost nothing to you. He did it out of sheer love, keeping the promise he made to your ancestors." (Deuteronomy 7:7,8, The Message)

"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Luke 18:10-14)

No comments: