Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Love

I'm changing my theology as everyday goes by. I was raised by a wonderful father and mother who loved God and loved His church. My parents loved the Scriptures and read them daily. My father was a product of his day and saw anything that was not Church of Christ as dangerous and wrong.
I don't say that as a criticism of my heritage (or maybe I do). Here is my new theology which is not new to anybody else but me. Unless I'm motivated by "What would Jesus do?" and loving God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and loving my neighbor, then I shouldn't do it. My motivation should come from a deep love of God and humankind. Anything else is secondary. God loved, Jesus served, and I should emulate both. Why do I say this? When Jesus was asked about the greatest commandment, what did He say? "Love God and love your neighbor." Right after Jesus washed the feet of his apostles, what did He tell them? Love one another the way I (Jesus) have loved you. What does John talk about in his books. Love God. Love your brother. You can't love God if you hate your brother. I'm sorry. It's in there so much that I just can't ignore it anymore. Love.
Oh, but that's too simple. Is it? Try to love the unloveable. It's easy to love the child at church who is sweet and smells nice and who's hair is braided. Love the one with the dirty diaper. Hug the one who kicks your shin. The lesson can be taught in 10 seconds but it takes a lifetime to understand. Join me, won't you, in this wonderful pursuit. It's what sets Christianity apart from all other religions. I love the words from the old song, "O Love that Wilt Not Let Me Go:

O Love that wilt not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee;
I give Thee back the life I owe, that in Thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.
I hope you have a great day. JW

2 comments:

One Observationist said...

I'm onboard and I agree with you 100%. Not to long ago I started viewing my relationship with God the same way. I am so tired of the traditional COC mentality. I'm so tired of it that I really don't pay it any attention anymore. Those that choose to live that way are free to do so and they can even condemn me if they wish (they already have) but in my opinion they're wasting their life on foolish pursuits. Then again maybe God has a plan for that mentality too. Like teaching the rest of us to focus on loving our neighbors and our God rather than a creed.

preacherman said...

Excellent post.
Great thoughts.