Monday, September 25, 2006

The Marathon of Life

My son-in-law ran in the Omaha Marathon yesterday. I went down to see the beginning of the race and it was an interesting reminder of life. It was really a metaphor for life itself. For instance?
There were all ages running in the race. I saw people who looked really, really old (about my age!! or older). There were some really, really young ones. Some, you could tell, were in good shape. Others, well, you know what I mean. There were some who were well prepared, i.e. they had their power bars and their water. While others were wearing (no kidding) black plastic bags. I even saw one guy who had some kind of drinks attached to his waist, yet was barefooted. I wonder what he wanted about 3 miles into the race, a drink or some shoes. There were some who were very non-chalant about the race. They just kind of sauntered up to the beginning when the even was about to start. Others were "warming up" as I was walking up. It's always interesting to me the people who run about a half marathon just warming up. Their faces are set and serious and there is no fun in the race. Others were laughing and enjoying the event.
Welll, you can make all the comparisons you want. I continued to think of Paul's comment in II Timothy when he said, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." Paul said he finished the race. My son-in-law didn't win the race yesterday. Quite the contrary. But ask him if the blisters, the soreness, the weariness wasn't worth it. You bet the race is worth it. Just keep running. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely forgot about him running it...hopefully he's doing okay afterwards. I can't even imagine trying to run a marathon!

How was the concert?? You know the one you were "teasing" me about!! No, I wasn't jealous, I don't care for that singer anymore.

Hope you're having a good one! Take care!