Thursday, September 07, 2006

Turning Points

Life has a number of turning points. When one is in the midst of such turning points, he doesn't realize the gravity of the situation. It isn't until years down the road when looking back does one realize the difference a decision, a marriage, or a conversation made in his life. I have talked before of decisions; how one decision can change the direction of one's life.
I think baptism is one of those turning points. I Peter 3:21 says that it isn't the water that saves you in baptism. Of course, we know it's Jesus that saves. But baptism is the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It is a pledge, a decision, a turning point where the believer says, "From this day forward, I'm serving the Lord."
I see a number of turning points in my life. How about you? Have you seen any? Can you identify? That's why the writer says to "teach us to number our days aright." That's why it's important to understand that our lives are just a vapor. Can we go back and change those points? In most cases, we cannot. The event has happened, the change has occurred. But we can pray. We can bless. We can ask God's intervention and His direction. Once we do this, we realize anew that He is in control. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

Franklin Wood said...

How many turning points did Israel have with God? Way more than I'll have in my lifetime, I hope!
I have listened to my wise elders that we all need to slow down and take note of special moments. I have tried to put this into practice while I'm still fairly young! I want to remember and soak in these special moments in life. Hopefully I will relish them for a long, long time.

One Observationist said...

Turning points. Wow I could count a lot. I don't know if you guys know or remember Rus Duncan, but he had one of the most profound impacts on my faith. More than likely second only to the instructions I was given as a youth by my parents. I have used Rus' instructions and guidance over the last several (5?) years and will continue to use them until I die. There was just something about the way that he carried himself and the way that he told Christ’s/God’s story that really spoke to me. Quite frankly without Rus I’m not sure where I would be today.