Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11

I was a fourth grader at Willard Elementary School. When I reached the top of the steps of my school, one of my classmates told me of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. All of us who were alive at the time can tell you where you were when it happened. Fast forward to September 11, 2001. This time I was Vice President of Enrollment Managment at York College and my office was in my old elementary school. Now it's called Sack Hall. I had been to a breakfast meeting with our consultant and when I returned, standing at the bottom of the same steps where I heard of the president's death, I heard of the plane crashing into the World Trade Center. Our house was across the street from Sack Hall, so I went home and watched the whole tragedy in horror. My mother said she just fell to her knees. Five years later, we stand as a nation praying that this won't happen again. I know there have been discussions and politics and threats and warnings. The solutions to this threat are complicated. And yet, there is a very simple answer. The lowest common denominator can be found and the solution is there. Whether it can be implemented is another story. But the answer is simple. It's Jesus. I know He said that He came to bring the sword to families. But He is still the answer. He's the Prince of Peace. And He is the answer, the only answer. Say a prayer in remembrance today. And pray that hearts will change and turn to Him. JW

No comments: