Wednesday, September 20, 2006

More Salt

I've been thinking (which in and of itself is dangerous). Why do we as a nation even care about earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, and other natural disasters in other countries around the world? Why do we send in money, food, and relief help at the drop of a hat? Why do we even have organizations such as the Red Cross? What makes our country's ethic one that helps others? Can I give you what I think is the answer? It's Jesus. It is the way we were formed as a country. Our founding fathers based this country on the principles of the Bible and those principles have permeated down through the years so that we help people.
What happens when we cease following God? We will become a nation that focuses inward. We will not care what is happening around the world. We will count ourselves lucky that it didn't happen to us.
I remember a converstation I had with my dad several years before he died. We were talking about good people all over who, without wanting any credit, did good things. He looked at me and said, "There's still a lot of salt." I hope that's always true. Salt and light. It's what we are. It's what the world needs. Now more than ever. Have a great day. JW

No comments: