Monday, February 26, 2007

Absurd Statements

We had another snow Saturday night. After all, this is Nebraska. Anyway, I was listening to one of the meteorologists and he was talking about the weather today. He said we would probably have some sun and it would melt some of the snow because the snow did contain a lot of water. Duh! There's a new revelation! All these years I thought snow contained marshmallows, but now this guy tells me it's mostly water.
Have you ever heard any other absurd statements? How about in John 8 when Jesus was talking to the Jews about His teaching. He said that if they would hold to His teachings, He would make them free. Their response? "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone." Can you believe that? What about all of their occupations in the Old Testament? What about their captivity? What about at the very moment they are speaking? Are not the Romans holding them under their rule of an iron fist?
What about Peter? "I will never forsake you." I think he probably believed that. We give Peter a hard time, but the Scripture says the rest of them said the same thing.
What about us? Do we ever make rash statements that are absolutely absurd and untrue or just plain stupid? I have to admit, I'm the king of that one. Promises I make to God, not owning up to my own mistakes, making it sound like I've got everything under control. Maybe that's why Jesus told us to make sure we got the plank out of our own eye before we take the splinter out of our neighbor's eye. Perhaps we would do better to mind our own business and work on our own lives instead of condemning everyone else. So raise your hand and repeat after me. "I promise not to make rash statements today. I will not speak until my brain is fully engaged. And I promise not to deny the obvious working of the Lord in my life." Have a great day. JW

No comments: