Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Unwholesome Talk

Piggy-backing on yesterday's blog, have you noticed how much criticism there is in the world? Everyone has an opinion. Sometimes we're vocal, sometimes we vent only to those around us. But it spreads into the church. Two groups of people are the targets of a lot of criticism. Preachers, for one. "His sermon was soooo boring!" Or, "I just didn't get anything out of the sermon today." But, in my humble opinion, most criticism is guided toward elders/shepherds. They don't do enough to suit me. They did too much. Just do something. I had an elder tell me one time that elderships were the statues and the congregation was the pigeons. How sad! What gives us the right to do such a thing?
The Scripture is full of instructions concerning this. Don't believe me?

Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. I Timothy 5:1

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8

"Well, it's true!" seems to be our only rallying cry when it comes to gossip. Unwholesome talk. Interested phrase. What is "unwholesome talk?" Sounds to me that it's anything that doesn't build up. Join me, would you, in trying to be a positive influence, in saying only things that build up. Let's not gossip. Let's not criticize. Let's encourage. Let's not tear down. Let's extend this courtesy to all. I think that's part of loving your neighbor as yourself. Have a great day. JW

No comments: