Monday, February 05, 2007

The Lord's Way

I don't know about you, but I got a little tired of hearing that this was the first time two African-American coaches made it into the Super Bowl. Don't misunderstand me. I am glad that black coaches are getting the opportunity on this level and are being successful. But did you hear these men as they talked to one another?
Instead of the "kill the other team" and "win at all cost" and "he's the enemy" rhetoric, it was wonderful to hear them speak to one another in kind terms. They said that Tony Dungy didn't curse. That both coaches were not ranters or screamers. I heard one interview where the two were seated next to another another and Tony Dungy said, "We're friends. And I hope that we will always be friends."
Although I don't think God particularly cared who won the Super Bowl, Tony Dungy said on national television, "I want to thank the Lord. We did it His way." That's what I've been talking about! How do we proclaim God in an extremely hectic world? He should be our life! It's not what we do, it's who we are. And Coach Dungy understands that. Too bad the press doesn't. Too bad we don't. Thanks, Coach, for showing us. Have a great day.

No comments: