Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I Saw God This Morning

I saw God this morning. No, it wasn't one of those "out of body" experiences or anything similar. I was walking toward the east when I saw the morning sunlight hitting the clouds. The beauty in the purple and pink hue of the marshmallow-like clouds reminded me that God is still in control of everything.
But that wasn't all of what I saw. Even though it's been above freezing during the day and melting the snow, during the evening it gets below freezing again and changes everything,. The water that runs down the street from the melting snow lies in a motionless way still looking as if it is still running. The ripples frozen in place give a a illusion of water running even though it's frozen. And the frost on the concrete makes thousands of gold and silver sparkles. I remember this scene from an earlier time in my life. Walking on the beach in southern California near San Diego, I remember seeing similar sparkles. They call it "fool's gold" out there. I'm not sure what they would call frost on concrete.
The thought went through my mind, "Of course, the clouds are beautiful. They've always been that way." But the concrete is old and hard and cracked and grey. But if God can take something that old and cracked and grey and make it into something beautiful, what can He do with a life that's old and cracked and grey?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." Psalm 14:1

As I finished my walk today, I heard the song sung originally by Rich Mullens, but this time by Michael W. Smith, "Everywhere I go I see you. Everywhere I go I see you." Thanks, guys, for the reminder. The cloud by day, the fire by night. Everywhere I go, I see You. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

David U said...

Isn't that a wonderful blessing?!?!

DU