Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Walk

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. A paraphrase from the heart of Jesus. I have a credenza in my office that has a lot of objects from life on it. There are two rocks from Green Valley Bible camp given to me by the girls in Cabin #1. They are "Rock" Awards that they give every summer. There's the glass crystal eagle given to me by our Spanish minister at the church in Arkansas. He gave it to me right before we left for Nashville. There's a wooden clothspin I comfiscated from Mom's house after she died. Not the kind you buy today with the spring, but one made from a single piece of wood. I used to make airplanes out of them when I was a kid. There's a miniature model of the Eiffel Tower I bought from a man right before I went up in the real thing in Paris several years ago. A broze rose from my Mom's casket sits in a place of honor near the front. There's a piece of the old Berlin Wall. A rock from the beaches of Normandy. I still have a bracelet that turns my wrist green given to me by Vladimir, a man I baptized in Vladivostok, Russia. If you were to offer me money for any of these items, I would turn your down. I don't think anything are worth much to anyone anyway. But they are priceless to me. Why? Because they represent things in my life. A trip made with my family. A game played when I was little. Camp. A mission trip.
These things are valuable to me because I received them on my journey called "Life." The New International Version of the Bible translate that word as "life." The King James Version as "walk." I prefer the walk image. They are valuable because they represent times in my walk when I crossed paths with someone. They mean something deeper than the value of the object. They are so deep in valuable to me that I will pass them on to the future generations in my life. There will be more things that I accumulate along the way. But it's not the things that are important, it's what they represent. Jesus said a man's life doesn't consist of the abundance of his possessions. So I would like to invite you to walk with me on this journey. Let's enjoy the good and the bad, the family and friends, the blessings given to us by God. Have a great day...and enjoy the walk. JW

No comments: