Monday, February 19, 2007

Winning the Argument

I'm a little tired of the political bickering that goes on the news channels of today. It seems the one who yells the loudest, interrupts the most, or demeans his opponent is the one who is deemed the winner.
I think that's how we think we win the argument when speaking of spiritual things. "Be ready to give an answer!" we proclaim. I find Jesus' response very interesting. Brought before Herod, he says nothing. Before Pilate, once again relatively nothing. "Well, you don't understand, they wouldn't have listened anyway." Probably true. But Jesus could have answered more profoundly and could have had a tremendous influence. He could have even won the argument. But he still would have been put on a cross and crucified.
Which brings me back to my original point. I'm not sure the argument is to be made. Paul's statement concludes his statement about giving an answer with "gentleness and respect." Jesus didn't respond. Often we win the argument and lose the war. Perhaps a we need more who are gentle in spirit, soft-spoken, and don't have to be right all the time.
"Are you saying we are not to defend our Christianity?" No, I didn't say that. I'm saying to defend our Christianity doesn't mean we have to win the arugment. Perhaps a life well-lived or a gentle word or a sweet spirit will be a better answer than we can imagine. Raging anger never seems to win the day even when the words may be right. I'm thinking we ought to take the Lord's example more often and just let our actions speak. Have a great day. JW

No comments: