Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My Favorite Bible

I've been teaching a class called Letters from Dad taken by a book by Gregg Vaughn. What has struck me in this class is the disconnect between fathers and their sons. (I know there is also a disconnect between fathers and daughters sometimes, but I'm dealing with the sons who are now fathers in my class.) There are deep-seeded emotions present when we talk of these things and they want to make sure that the mistakes of the past are not continued to their children. Tears come easily and quickly. Emotions run high every time we have class.
This got me thinking. Four of my most valuable possessions sit in my office. They are my father's Bible, my mother's Bible, my Grandfather White's Bible, and my Grandfather Garloch's Bible. They each have a different reason for being precious. Dad's Bible is the first NIV Bible he ever owned. I gave it to him. He underlined things that were of importance to him. So when I need a dose of Dad, I go to what I call "The Gospel According to Ed" and read some things he deemed important. Mom's Bible is precious because it looks exactly the way it was the day she died. It has a bulletin tucked in it as well as a tissue (with a verse written on it, Proverbs 29:20. "Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him." Why she wrote that verse down, I don't know. But perhaps I should listen. My Grandfather White's Bible was given to him by my parents on December 25, 1943. He also has a Bible verse written--Titus 2:12. "Teaching us that denying ungodliness and wordly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world." Finally, my Grandfather Garloch's Bible, once again, given to him this time by my mother on December 25, 1940. Written inside is the price...$5.50. Granddad wasn't one to write in his Bible, but the pages are dirty and worn, obviously from use.
Why are you talking about this? I gave my 23-year old, married daughter my Bible the other day. It was the one I had been preaching from for the last several years. It's getting worn and used. I've written so many notes in it, that I love to have it when I'm reading. But I thought, "Why should she wait until I die to get this?" I wanted her to have it to see that her dad depended on God. I loved her comment when I gave it to her. She said, "What about Nathan?" (My son). I told her there would be another Bible with more notes and worn out like that one. I thought she would tuck it away, put it with the things she would save. Instead, I picked her up for church services (Her husband was working and there was snow on the ground. She isn't driving in snow right now. That's another blog, another story, another time). She was carrying that Bible. Tears are in my eyes right now as I recount this. Never did I know that it would be one of her valuable possessions.
My call to you fathers out there, never underestimate what your love for your children does. Don't hold it back. Don't be ashamed to show it. And leave them a legacy for your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Let them know that you chose to follow God. Have a great day. JW

2 comments:

David U said...

Super post my brother! Keep bringing em to us!!!

DU

Karen said...

You aren't the only one with tears. Your children are blessed to have you for a father, and I am blessed to call you friend.