Monday, February 12, 2007

Good Intentions

I've mentioned the book Margin by Dr. Richard A. Swenson before on this blog. We are using his (out-dated) video series right now. It may be a little dated, but it is as true and accurate as it was when it was produced. In fact, his words ring prophetically even more in the 21st century. One of the things he said in last night's video was that "...our children are lying wounded on the ground and run over by our good intentions." That hit me right between the eyes.
How many times have we intended to say an encouraging word instead of a rebuke, intended to give a hug instead of a wave, or intended to say, "I love you," instead of "put your coat on." There are so many times when my teenage son seems fine, yet inside he is roiling with teenage angst. And although he acts as if he's fine and doesn't really want me hanging around, he truly needs the solidity of dad's love. That's not the time to have good intentions. That's the time for actions.
I've had a daughter go through this, I need to remember the lessons learned from that and to realize that raising a boy is different than raising a girl. So parents, join me if you will. Don't let good intentions get in the way of truly loving your kids. Make sure you are the solid foundation they need. Make sure they know you are constant in their lives. Make sure they know that any foundation they get from you is only because you have put your trust in Jesus. Don't be ashamed of that. Have a great day. JW

1 comment:

beccaapril said...

Hello, Jim! I am an educator as well. I teach at Little Rock, Arkansas.

I am trying to get in touch with Dee Skillen. I would love have her get in touch with me. I believe she has a great deal of wisdom to share with us here in Arkansas.

If you could toss me Dee's e-mail address or send mine to her, that would be appreciated.

Thanks a mil.

email: beccaapril@yahoo.com
phone number: 501-744-2211